Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tough Day At the Storage Locker

Of course it was drizzling a bit this morning and cold. I was making trips back and forth to the storage locker all day, moving my things into AMG and Ryan's basement to get the goods on display for the "binge and purge" party.

Going through all of my boxes with a ruthless "am I going to want this in 10 years?" attitude was what kept the "for sale" piles much much more plentiful than the "going into storage in my mom's basement" pile. But every box I opened flooded so many memories back to me, from my stemless wine glasses to my flour crusted cook books to my tattered pink feather boa. I remembered what road trip I bought those engraved glasses on, what gig I wore that skirt for, what used bookstore I bought that Timothy Findley book in. Every piece has a story, a little part of my history, a little part of my life.

It was a tough day. There were a few times when I couldn't help the tears that welled up in my eyes as I stared at a handmade mug or a handful of arctic cotton that I had carefully wrapped up from Baffin Island. I couldn't help but wonder what I was doing, getting rid of all these little treasures. But the truth is, I'll be gone for at least the next 4 years and likely a residency in the US (which tacks on another 3-5 after that). And I know, it's only stuff, but it has taken me years to acquire and attain these things, some of them from many different corners of the world.

Soon my friends were stopping by and putting their bids on my various belongings. The buzz of activity jerked me out of my 'how sorry for myself can I feel as I get ready to embark on the adventure I've been hoping for for so long' reverie.

It ended up being quite the evening. Verena just kept saying "This is so weird! You're getting rid of all of your things! This is sooo weird!"

Small bidding wars have started over things like my retro dressers and Ikea lamps. Tomorrow we'll finish up the not-so-silent auction and I'll take whatever doesn't go to the second hand store, the bookstore, and the dump. The nostalgic bits are heading back to the storage locker and then to mom's basement (again).

AMG's contractions are now 1 minute apart and they are off to the hospital.

New beginnings all around.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think new beginnings are fantastic. Now that I'm out of school and don't have that regular semester do-over I miss it a lot.

But getting rid of stuff is also incredibly freeing. I moved to the other side of the world with two suitcases years ago and I can't really say I miss any of the stuff I ended up purging. I do have one tip, if it's not too late, and that is if something triggers a good memory that you otherwise might not remember without that item to trigger it, you can get the same effect without the clutter by taking a picture of it and storing it on your computer, or, better yet, put it in the cloud on a site like Flickr or even in an email archive.

Dragonfly said...

Ebay...... As long as you make a few dollars to cover the listing fees and postage.

Albinoblackbear said...

Hey C.H--good to hear from you. Yeah, now it is all over, all my stuff (well most of it) has gone bye bye. The good thing is, it is all with good people in good houses. When I come back to Revy to visit I can drink out of my old glasses, stare at my old books and sit on my old chairs. It it kind of freeing and depressing at the same time.

DF--Yes, I thought about ebay but couldn't be bothered with the effort. I just wanted to purge and get it over with. And now it is done. I am staring at my earnings in a glass jar. 10 years acquisition has been loaded up and carted away! :)

Keet said...

I'm proud of you... as someone who has done this a few times now, and have multiple storage lockers around the world, you will love coming home to your stuff, whatever it may be.
I soooo hope you got in in Ireland. I would love to be so near you again.
Fingers crossed!!!
miss you!

Albinoblackbear said...

Oh Keet!!!!

It would be fabulous to have you only a 3$ Ryan Air flight away!!!

Why don't you stop being Luce's kept woman and come be mine in Ireland instead? ;)

Miss you!