Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Who Knew?

Who knew moving to a new country and starting school there was going to be such a tedious process? I have to keep taking a breath and reminding myself that I wouldn't be going through all this stress if I hadn't gotten into medical school. I guess I ought to be down on my knees thanking the admission GODS that I am spending my final days in Canada standing in line at the car registration place instead of drinking wine spritzers on a deck somewhere surrounded by the adoring faces of my friends and family. Yes. That is how it ought to be....

It is weird, I feel like I am jumping into a black hole. No idea what to expect from school or life in Ireland. My apologies for the dearth of posts lately but I have been staying in my mothers basement (which looks like it has been occupied by a schizophrenic who is conducting a garage sale there...) and she has DIAL UP (horror of horrors) and her phone was recently on the fritz. Frustrating? Yes. Life threatening? Almost. Speaking of mothers, I believe there is a direct relationship to the distance one is moving in relation to the degree of smothering that occurs.

More packing and unpacking to do. Two days until D-day.

6 comments:

Bostonian in NY said...

I moved less than 200 miles away and I am SMOTHERED WITH FOOD every time I get back home.

Nature Nerd said...

I hear ya. And we haven't even got to the real packing yet.

K said...

i had a prof during 2nd year that was irish. half the class was smitten by his accent and the other half didnt understand what he was saying.

Keet said...

Oh EBSCO, it won't be the first or the last time you're packing up your life... that said, culture shock is something you should prepare yourself for, since you're going to be over here for a while! Give M.E. my best, and tell her I'll try pop over to the emerald isle and smother you a bit while yer here.
<3 K.

P.S. I would just like to remind you that people living with the psychiatric label of schizophrenia's garage sales look very similar to everyone else's garage sales... It's the room that they keep their ham radio in that tend to be a bit messy.

Abilene Rob said...

Good luck settling in. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Albinoblackbear said...

BINY--my mom puts the 'mother' in 'smother'. And yes...food is always a big part of that.

NN--how's it going??? You leave in 2 days now right??

K--hilarious. Yeah well I understood about every 3rd sentence from my taxi driver today but the stuff I was getting was GOLD. Pure gold.

KK--M.E didn't even come to the airport...she was too 'verklempt' so to speak. I gave her a topic, "the chick pea--neither a chick, nor a pea" but she didn't discuss.

Ham radio and tin foil hats. BTW.

AR--thanks! Have I mentioned lately your blog is pure comedy?? Seriously.