Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Blood spurting!! Life saving!! Code calling!!

No. That wasn't at all how my first day went.

It was all very dimly lit and civilized. It was all about how to fill out forms for vacation requests and travel, how to submit log books, finding computer passwords and parking instructions.

I still have a few days of orientation ahead of me. Today I purchased a propane tank, a Co-Op membership, and maple syrup. I am feeling very 'rural Canadian'.

These transitions are tough. Tonight while I was making homemade ketchup I was thinking that it has been a long time since I've been a new person in a new town. There has always been a safety net of friends or well known colleagues in my previous nooks and crannies. I know I'll be on my feet soon but I know I am stress-condiment-making (I am not a baker, so I cannot stress-bake).

Right now I am melting in the >30 degree heat, in my house that has no AC.

Next Tuesday is my actual first day on the job. Eeeep! For now, I will bask in the paperwork.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on graduating! I cut my nursing teeth in a tiny rural hospital with 20 beds. There was never a dull moment and the staff were very welcoming and ready to teach me. I am sure you will be great.

The social life, on the other hand?? Uhhh, do you curl?

Anonymous said...

Stress condiment making is fantastic. I can also recommend stress soup making and portion freezing. My usual go-to is stress deep cleaning, but you just moved in, so that would probably take about five minutes.

You'll be great! Can't wait to hear about it.

Internal Optimist said...

Hopefully a nice civilised and calm day is a much better introduction than running all over the hospital! I hope you get to meet lots of new people in the town and hospital soon, and feel more at home!